Even though exposures to mandmade EMFs are causing increasing health issues, it still remains true that exposures to natural sources of EMFs (the Schumann frequency, from the earth) is an absolutely crucial component of maintaining long term health in living tissues.
Conductivity is literally the basis of how our body functions.
Everything from your thoughts to your feelings to your sensory experiences to your heartbeat to your breath to your speech to your digestion to every movement you have ever made is all only possible because you are conductive.
So while natural earth EMFs soothe and heal you, bathing your conductive body in supportive energy fields, manmade EMFs disrupt and sicken you, artificially imposing polarized disruptive radiation fields around you. Here is a great diagram, taken from this great article published in Science Of The Total Environment in 2019, showing how we need earth’s energy to be healthy, while manmade electrical fields make us sick:
Navigating this is actually simple: reduce exposures to man made electrical environments in your home and work space, and increase exposures to the earth’s natural energy fields by grounding.
The only reason this gets confusing at all is because some grounding advocates say that while you are grounded, you are magically “protected” from manmade EMFs.
While I wish this were true, it is not.
You still have man made EMF exposures affecting your body, whether you are grounded or not. And when you are grounded, if you are electrosensitive you might literally feel these man made EMFs as tingling, headache, muscle tension, or irritability, as I talked about in last weeks blog post here.
The solution to this is for electrosensitive folks to reduce the manmade EMFs around them if at all possible, or add shielding to protect the body while you are grounding.
Unfortunately, grounding advocates who say you are magically protected from EMFs when grounding and who don’t believe in (or don’t understand) that electrosensitivity is real, tell you these symptoms are a “grounding detox” and ignore them.
That’s doesn’t work. No one should feel worse while they are healing… healing should feel like a relief and help you feel better and better and better. So if you have felt negative symptoms when grounding through a standard ground cord, I want you to know that there are legitimate medical reasons you are feeling symptoms and you are not having a detox reaction.
Average levels of human perception of AC current:
- 0.7 mA is average perception in women
- 1 mA is average perception in men
- experienced electricians could even detect sensations as at 0.1mA or less!
In addition, small cuts, punctures and breaks in the skin’s integrity drops this threshold even lower, so if you notice increased symptoms in winter when your skin is dry and cracked, this may explain a lot for you!
The human body is a beautiful, electrically sensitive system, and it is a medical fact that we can pick up on (and have symptoms from) a current that is introduced to the human body via EMF exposures.
We want to deal with this ever-increasing, ambient, background electrical smog that we are exposed to every day by protecting ourselves from it. And here is the good news… we can.
By employing these strategies, you can dramatically decrease your exposures to man-made EMFs and increase your exposures to healing earth EMFs, dramatically protect your conductive health and boosting your well being.
It’s simple — just run through these strategies, in this order:
1. Remove man made EMF exposures if possible
2. Reduce man made EMF exposures that can’t be removed
3. Shield from man made EMF exposures that can’t be removed or reduced
4. Ground to the earth to get your daily dose of good, healthy, natural frequencies
5. Boost the resiliency of the body in other ways
Let me walk you through it:
Go through your living and work space to see what man made EMF exposures you can simply remove. Removing a source of man-made radiation beats shielding from it every day of the week.
Here are some ideas to consider:
- Put your cell phone on airplane mode when you are carrying it on your body or in your pocket or purse to totally deactivate it as a source of radiation all together
- Decrease the quantity of other radiation exposures in your home: gaming systems, baby monitors, computer printers, home surveillance systems, etc… are each one absolutely necessary? Sleeping in a family bed is infinitely preferable to using wireless baby monitors, for example. Another example, only install home surveillance systems outside of the home, not inside and certainly not in bedrooms.
- Do not use an electric blanket or electric bed frame, do not use electric heating pads, switch to using hot water bottles for soothing warmth and therapeutic heat
- Turn off your WiFi at night if you can, or put your router on a timer like this one so it turns off each night (and back on each morning) automatically
- Shut off the electrical outlets in your bedroom at night (as opposed to simply turning off your bedside lamp, since a plugged in appliance still has EMFs radiating out of it even while it’s turned off.) You could also unplug appliances or simply using an outlet kill switch like this one to turn appliances (light your reading light) on and off without unplugging them.
- Make car time cell phone free time — this is a great rule to instill in children of all ages too! Give them supreme rights to choose what music you listen to (yes even if you hate their music, let car time be music time, not screen time!) Make drive time for radio only (or playing music playlists with cell phone on airplane mode) and talking… trust me, when they become teenagers and are starting to drive, you’ll be so glad they have not coupled car use with cell phone use
- Institute family game nights weekly that use board games instead of electronic gaming systems. Yes, there are some families out there that still play board games, Jenga, cards, etc… we still do and my kids are college aged!
- Make sure every single person in your family nurtures at least one non-electronic passion… from reading physical (paper!) books to playing basketball outside to painting to gardening to joining in on a Zumba class at the local Y to biking to writing… you get the idea!
Reduce any exposures that can not be turned off or removed. Reducing radiation is easiest when you simply increase your distance from the radiation source — simply moving EMF pulsing items out of the bedroom, for example.
Here are some more ideas:
- If you can’t remove or turn off your WiFi router, then make sure your router is installed in an area of the home that is as far away from all bedrooms as possible and cover it with a Router Guard to decrease the strength of it’s radiation output, while still keeping it functional.
- Move gaming systems out of bedrooms, placing them in living areas & eliminating them from sleeping areas
- Same with computers and cell phones — moving all charging cords out of your bedroom — placing them in living areas only and never charge or store them in sleeping areas
- Use speaker phone & text — never hold a cell phone up to your head to speak on it. Holding your cell phone at arm’s length is infinitely better than holding it up to your head
- Use laptops and tablets on desks, not directly on your lap
- Move your main seating and sleeping areas away from wiring in the walls. For example, position your sofa in the middle of the room instead of against a wall, move your kitchen table into the center of an eating space instead of against a wall, and use a headboard to create distance between the wall and your pillow. Two feet is ideal, but any space put between the wall and your body is helpful
Now that you’ve removed sources of EMFs as much as possible and increased your distance from the ones you can’t remove, you can go further to decrease your exposures by shielding.
Shielding works. There was an impressive medical study, published in 2017 in Immunologic Research, that followed 64 patients with autoimmune diseases (such as lupus and multiple sclerosis) while they slept shielded with a silver based sleep cap over their heads, for a total of 8 hours of shielding in a 24 hour period. The results? 90% of the patients reported a significant decrease in their disease symptoms.
Making small, simple changes like that that can dramatically reduce your exposures — for example, if you literally just place your cell phone behind a cell phone shield like this one while it is charging, you decrease over 90% of the radiation from that direction.
Here are some more ideas on shielding for you to consider:
- Use a shielding throw over your lap while using computers, lap tops, cell phones, tablets, etc… so that your body has shielding materially blocking radiation from a close source of EMFs
- Place your laptop in a laptop shielding case while charging or transporting
- Wear radiation protective clothing while working or traveling away from your home.
- Sleep inside of a shielding sleeping bag, or wrap a soft lovely shielding cape all the way around your body like a robe (it even has a hood to protect your head!) or sleep between a shielding blanket on top of you and a mattress shield under you to create a cocoon of protection around your entire bed all night long.
- As important as what you do use to shield yourself is what you don’t use: do not use shielding stickers, shunghite & orgonite stones, home and office plug in “frequency modulators”, faraday snap on beads, shielding patches and chips, there are even fake USB shielding sticks — these not only do not work, as explained in this awesome research article published in 2019 in Science of the Total Environment but they provide the user with false confidence and because of that, can do more harm than good.
While shielding from man-made EMFs is wonderfully protective, simply removing radiation sources does not actually nurture and strengthen your own health, it just removes a toxic irritant. The way to boost your conductive health and increase your conductive well being and resilience is through grounding.
Grounding daily to reset the conductive health of your body is essential — it is not enough simply to remove EMF insults, you must replace those toxic frequencies with the natural healing frequency from the earth.
Grounding means touching the earth outside to get a daily boost of healthy, soothing, natural EMF exposures, or using an indoor grounding tool to get grounded. If you are electrosensitive, you should select a PureGround cord to use with all of your indoor grounding tools, so that you are protected from AC current and EMF’s in your indoor environment from acting on your ground line. Watch this video for details on how the PureGround cord works to protect the electrosensitive:
Or better yet, go outside to ground directly to the earth (or do both indoor and outdoor grounding! No amount of grounding is too much!)
How do you ground outside in the winter? Here is an article I wrote for you that goes over all the grounding shoes, grounding gloves, grounding hiking sticks, and lots of tips and tricks to be able to go outside and ground even in the winter.
To keep your motivation to go outside and get naturally grounded up year round, I also wrote a book to help you: The Earth Prescription. I wrote this book to fill your mind, heart and spirit with exciting ideas on how to get grounded to support your health goals best, whether you want to sleep better, get more energy, feel more spiritually connected or even boost your creativity. My goal in writing this book is to get you aching to go outside and to inspire you with hundreds of ideas on what to do once you get there, no matter what the weather, no matter where you live, and no matter what the season:
Boost your health in other ways. Your health is multifaceted, so even though there will likely be EMF exposures that you can’t totally eliminate, you can boost your health through many many different approaches that allow you to be resilient despite less-than-ideal living situations.
By focusing on what you can immediately do to boost your health and resiliency with high quality sleep, high quality food, high quality water, fresh air and exercise… you become internally healthier and better able to withstand stressful outer environments.
As the 2016 EUROPAEM EMF exposure guidelines state:
“Anything that supports homeostasis will increase a person’s resilience against disease and thus against the adverse effects of EMF exposure.”
To that I say AMEN.
So if you feel overwhelmed or depressed by thinking of how to navigate shielding from all of the man made EMFs and other things in the world you can’t control, focus on what you can control.
What you can control is boosting your own personal health in many different ways. Read through this list and find one or two ways that resonate with you and feel good about instituting them:
- Go through your pantry, bathroom, and laundry room to remove toxic, synthetic, chemical laden foods from your pantry, toxic artificial body care products, oral care products and hair care products from your bathrooms, remove chemical laden home care and cleaning products as well as artificially scented and chemical laden laundry products, and never use toxic chemicals on your lawn or toxic pest control chemicals inside your home. Reducing environmental toxins like artificial fragrances and toxic household cleaners and toxic body, beauty and oral care products goes a long way to reducing the total burden your body faces each day
- Reduce total body toxic burden by eating less processed and artificial foods, adding in more antioxidant rich natural healthy foods.
- Wash your hands before eating anything to remove all the chemicals we pick up as we go about our day so you don’t get traces of them into your mouth with each meal.
- Supplement with antioxidants that can help alleviate free radicals and oxidative damage, potentially decreasing risks from EMF exposures. Glutathione, Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), folate, and even melatonin are all powerful antioxidants that help slow or even reverse damage from oxidation. I have all my favorite, very highest quality supplements in the world waiting for you in my EMF Mitigation Protocol right here.
- Don’t drink enough water? Put a water filtration system right out on your kitchen counter and drink a big glass every single time you walk by it.
- Don’t exercise enough? Start and end every single day with a simple walk outside in fresh air. Daily movement helps deliver much needed fresh oxygen and nutrients to all organ systems as well as aid in the removal of toxins and waste by-products. Exercise absolutely boosts your body’s health and resiliency!!!
- Don’t sleep well? Take immediate measures to change that — put on blue light blocking glasses after dinner and wear them through bedtime, take melatonin at dusk every evening, use a light box every morning to reset your internal clock, and even go see your physician for a sleep study to see if a CPAP machine (or other sleep intervention) is right for you.
- Notice you are breathing shallowly? It only take 3 deep breaths to literally boost the function of your heart and other crucial internal organs. Take 3 deep breaths right now. Use a chime routinely to remind you… I walk you through it right here in this video. Feel that? Do it throughout the day, every day.
- Start reading books at night instead of watching TV.
- Stop multitasking and let your brain focus on just one task at a time.
- Start taking nightly epsom salt bath soaks to relax your muscles and ease you into deeper sleep.
- Start going to your community sauna each week to relax tense muscle and boost your health (as I blog about here, routine sauna increases life span!)
- Join a spiritual support group or get serious about finding a church or synagogue or meditation center that feels right the moment you walk in the doors.
- Stop using social media and reach out to your real life friends to set up a real date.
And on and on and on. There is always something you can do to feel better, and better and better.
More resources for any who thinks they may be
Most people are not quite sure if they are electrosensitive or not. And unfortunately for most, their physician has not asked about EMF exposures or taken EMF exposures into account when addressing health issues.
So… when will physicians become serious about the diagnosis and treatment of electrosensitivity? Soon.
There is a huge movement of physicians who are becoming aware and clear on how the non-stop onslaught of EMF exposures are affecting the physiology of the human body.
To help immediately, even before the field of medicine makes an EMF inventory a routine part of a health check up (this will absolutely happen one day, I promise you) I created an online class to help you diagnose and treat any EHS symptoms you may be experiencing.
Today, I invite you to join me in my upcoming Electrosensitivity Relief Class:
It’s absolutely possible to be EHS and safeguard your health, while still living in the modern world. In this class I will walk you through exactly how to do it, starting with a self assessment tool that will help you figure out if you are electrohypersensitive (EHS) and following up with a full week to walk you, step by step, through your living spaces to making them safer for you and your entire family.
This 7 day online class includes:
- Day 1: What is electrosensitivity and how to assess if you are electrosensitive
- Day 2: Removing exposures you can remove (I’ll walk you through it!)
- Day 3: Reducing exposures you can reduce (let’s do it together!)
- Day 4: Shielding from remaining exposures: key concepts & actions to take
- Day 5: Grounding to rebalance your conductive health with natural earth EMFs
- Day 6: Boosting your body’s resiliency to mitigate exposures you can’t control
- Day 7: How to talk to your physician about further in person diagnosing & treatment of EHS
Plus I give you tons of encouragement and additional tools to boost your health, decrease the reactivity and inflammation in your body from any EMF exposures that you can not decrease…
…as well as tools to give you the confidence to address EHS with your own in person physician, with free printables you can hand them to get the conversation started.
Reserve your spot today and take action to protect your well being, and forward this to your family and loved ones so they can take it with you! Taking this with an accountability buddy is a great idea so you can encourage each other and stick with it.
And I’ll also be your ultimate accountability partner, walking beside you the entire way:
It absolutely doesn’t have to be overwhelming, I’ll break it down for you into easily actionable steps that will leave you feeling empowered, not scared.
Please share this article with any friends or loved ones that you know that may be electrosensitive, which honestly in my opinion is pretty much everyone. We are all electrically conductive human beings that rely on conductivity for our health. Which means we all are dependent on grounding to the earth to boost our health, and reducing our exposures to manmade EMFs to protect our health.
If you are electrosensitive, than that’s actually awesome, because it simply means you are more aware of (and therefore can be more alerted to and protect yourself better from) these EMF exposures that so many folks are totally oblivious about.
Let’s turn your electrosensitivity into a positive! I’m here to help you do it.
Laura Koniver, MD