I was recently asked:
â€œIf a sick person is lacking the earth’s electrons,
can you donate your electrons to them by touching them?”
The short answer to this is: yes.
When you were a kid, did you ever walk around in your socks, rubbing them on a carpet repeatedly so you could sneak up to your sibling and shock them? (Or was that just me, LOL?). If you’ve ever shocked someone when touching them, you know this on a large scale â€” it was a large quantity of electrons passing between the two of you that caused the shock.
On a smaller scale, this is happening with every interaction, all day long.
Because no two bodies are 100% completely balanced and neutral in respect to each other, electrons are always flowing one way or another when you touch someone else, or they touch you.
Although the amount of electrons transferring is such a small amount relative to the amount of electrons in a human body, I believe this is in part why healing touch is so powerful. When you â€œdonateâ€ some of your electrons to someone who is in worse physical condition than you (such as someone in pain, with an inflammatory process going on) you are supporting them in many ways.
I think this is part of what massage therapists, physical therapists, acupuncturists and other healers are doing when they touch you. Even your pet can donate electrons to you when it snuggles up with you while you are sick or have a chronic condition bringing you down.
Medical studies are just starting to reveal the healing power of physical touch:
- physical touch has the power to reduce pain
- physical touch has the power to prolong pain free intervals (even in critically ill patients)
- physical touch has the power to calm brain activity during distress
- physical touch has the power to lower heart rate and blood pressure
- physical touch has the power to calm respiratory rate
And all of these studies are just from touch alone!
They do not include all of the wonderful studies that show the healing power of therapeutic touch, such as massage therapy and physical therapy. Just simple skin-to-skin contact.
Do these results sound familiar? What other healing modality do you know that can decrease pain, calm brain waves, lower blood pressure, lower heart rate, and calm respiratory rate?
Yep, grounding does all of that in the exact same way, with direct physical contact and the transfer of electrons between the human body and the earth.
So the first take home point today is:
when you touch others,
you might be donating electrons to someone who needs them.
In short, you are grounding them. So remember to get grounded yourself.
If you ground your body routinely, this can be a very kind thing to do â€” with every hug or hand squeeze or touch, you are literally helping to neutralize their depleted body, which is one reason why touch is so healing.
And while you may be very willing to be an electron donor to those you love, you should be aware that even brief casual contact with strangers is enough to donate electrons â€” when getting handed a receipt at checkout, for example, or shaking hands after introductions at work or at a party.
During this time of social distancing, these interactions don’t typically happen, but if you are quarantining with someone who is not feeling good right now — maybe they are having a stressful day, a panic attack, feeling depressed, have a stomach ache, a headache, seasonal allergy attacks, you name it… you can use the power of grounded touch to help.
Especially if your loved one is not on board with or does not routinely practice grounding themselves… no matter. The earth will still heal them, with you as the conduit.
You may want to ask yourself, in the past, before this social isolation period, did you notice you ever feel depleted at work?
Or after going out and about to shopping malls, restaurants, crowded places?
Did you feel depleted after group meetings, after introductions that include handshakes, or after social functions where you spent time embracing large numbers of friends or family members that are not routinely grounded?
Or maybe you notice feeling depleted after public transit, in crowded shopping areas, or while eating out?
With every touch, you likely donated some electrons to someone who needs them.
The solution to this is so simple: just take a break and touch the earth.
The ground outside has an ever available supply of electrons, and it will never run out of electrons to tank you back up… just reach for earth to restore you.
Make it your new policy to get outside before, after, and particularly during, events that drain you.
- At work: When you are back at work you can make it a routine to go outside during a lunch break and touch the earth. It’s super easy to do if you wear open toed socks that allow you to slip off your shoe for a moment and touch the earth. Although grounding for longer periods of time can have cumulative benefits, even a single second is never too short to get grounded, as you are grounded immediately and a single second is enough to have a flow of electrons wash over you.
- Waiting for bus or other forms of commuting: I have a practice of touching the cement curb beside where I am parked and always take a minute to connect before getting into my car. On long car rides, I take time to break up the drive with a grounding moment on the earth. Especially after getting off public transit, cement sidewalks and curbs are always your friend.
- Socializing out with friends: Feel exhausted while hanging out with friends? Or maybe your socialization comes in the form of getting your kids together at playdates with other parents and there are tons of children running around a playground. Either way, if you feel your energy draining after contact with others, you can always discretely touch a tree as you walk around outside, getting grounded in an instant without ever having to take your shoes off. No one has to know why you want to stop and lean down to smell a flower (hold onto a leaf as you do to get a grounding fix) or stop and touch a leaf on a tree or touch the grass with your fingertips. Any contact with the earth will restore your electrons, it absolutely does not need to be through your feet. And it does not need to be the ground directly â€” any living rooted tree will be fully grounded as will rocks resting on the earth â€” so sit on a rock, touch a leaf, caress a flower â€” and tank up on those electrons directly.
- Ultimately, consider sleeping grounded: if you find you are routinely exhausted from daily life, which is super common in this ungrounded world around you, consider sleeping grounded each night. That way, your sleep is more restorative and you are all set, flush with electrons to face another day, interacting with people all day long who more than likely do not sleep grounded and are in need of their own electron fix.
The second take home point is this:
You can absolutely use this principle of electron sharing to
intentionally care for others!
It can be a good thing!
Because when you are grounded, you can touch someone else and ground them as well, even if they were ungrounded before your contact. You act as a grounding cord, tethering them to the ground.
There are many many applications where this can be helpful. For example:
- Holding hands = when one is grounded, you both are grounded. For me, as someone who is always cold, I love love love to hold my husband’s warm hands while we are on a nice walk outside in the winter. He never gets as cold as I do, so he very much enjoys touching a rock or holding a tree branch as we explore the neighborhood, even sometimes going barefoot while I stay toasty in my boots. As long as I have his warm hand slipped into my pocket holding mine, I’m grounded every bit as powerfully as he is. Want to bring your relationship to new heights? Make sure one of you is grounded outside and share a kiss, knowing the entire time the kiss is grounding both partners instantly!
- Sleep sharing = one person sleeping grounded means both people are sleeping grounded. If you sleep with a partner that isn’t too into the whole grounding movement, as long as you are grounded, every time you reach over to touch your partner, have the comfort of knowing you ground them as well. For example, if your side of the bed has a grounding bed roll running down it, as you cuddle your partner, they are every bit as grounded as if they had a full grounded bed roll under them as well!
- Pets outside = let them stand directly on the earth so you don’t have to! Every time you pet your pup as they play outside on the earth, it’s as good as you grounding directly to the earth without you having to get dirty, muddy, or cold (or hot, depending on the season!). So if the sidewalk is too hot for your own bare feet, or the rain is too muddy and wet for you to want to go barefoot, or you are simply too cold to have direct skin contact with the earth, let your warm furry friend do the grounding for you. Thick fur is insulating and can prevent grounding contact, so try to pat their tummy, rub their ears, kiss their snout, or massage down under the fur or in areas that are less fur covered. Every time you do, you are tanking up on the earth’s electrons without depleting your pet’s supply.
Because in each of these examples, one of the two living bodies is grounded to the earth, they are continuously tanked up with electrons and you never have to feel they are taking them away from you directly, instead you are an earth donor while they themselves are simultaneously getting tanked up too!
I’m sure you can think of many more scenarios where you can either be proactive about restoring your own electrons after interacting with others in this ungrounded society we live in, or situations where you can use this principle of grounded contact to double the benefits of grounding to more than one person at a time.
So my challenge to you is to simply be aware of getting grounded multiple times throughout your day, each and every day, and see if you feel less drained all day long. Then use this boosted reservoir of electrons to spread healing touch to those you are quarantined with, to help boost their wellness too.
And of course, don’t limit yourself to the examples I shared in today’s blog post… there are infinite ways that you touch others all day long and infinite ways you can use the healing power of touch to restore both you and those you love.
With much love… xoxoxo, Laura
P.S. Do you have a question about grounding that you can’t find answered anywhere else?
I’m absolutely sure I’ve got it answered for you in my new book on grounding that releases this Friday! Woot!
Going way past other grounding books that dryly review the medical literature or give you story after story on anecdotal reports on grounding, this book will fill your mind, heart and spirit with exciting ideas on how to get grounded to support your health goals best, whether you want to sleep better, get more energy, feel more spiritually connected or even boost your creativity.
My goal in writing this book is to get you aching to go outside and to inspire you with hundreds of ideas on what to do once you get there.
You can order a signed book that I will personally ship direct to you, right here.
Bu tf you get free shipping on Amazon (or want the kindle version) or prefer to order off B&N (or want the Nook version) or you want to support IndieBound or other independent retailers (I’m all for that) please do!
Here are some helpful links:
Order On Amazon
Order On Barnes & Noble
Order On Indiebound