A new study shows what we can already *feel* â€”
â€” that trauma in childhood affects our physical health as an adult.
Our cells, organs, tissues, physical body holds on to the effects of emotional trauma and this energetic tension literally changes how our body is able to function.
I’ve written previous blog posts highlighting this, how our body’s health is an expression of our emotional well being, in articles such as:
Today’s medical study shows an association between trauma in childhood resulting in an increased risk of having surgery to remove the reproductive organs as an adult.
In other words, earlier trauma significantly impacts the sexual health and reproductive health of a woman and culminates later in life to increase their risk of having major surgery.
The Study (published June 7 in the British Medical Journal):
- 256 patients were studied: 128 women who underwent ovarian and uterine removal operations before age 50 and before entering menopause were paired with 128 age-matched controls.
- Patients had to have medical records that dated back to at least age 15 and researchers used epidemiological studies to access medical records with direct documentation of events that gook place up to 40 years prior to the ovary/uterine removal surgery.
- Using data on reports of abuse, violence, neglect, verbal, emotional, physical or sexual abuse that occurred between birth and age 19… these childhood traumatic experiences were then stratified and validated with the patients directly.
- Researchers found a statistically significant correlation between women who had ovarian and uterine removal surgery as an adult and verbal abuse, emotional abuse, physical abuse, substance abuse in the household as a child, and suicidal ideation or suicide attempts.
- Women who had considered or attempted suicide were more than twice as likely to have their reproductive organs surgically removed as an adult than their matched controls.
- The highest rate of statistical significance was childhood physical abuse, with patients who had the surgery being almost 6 TIMES AS LIKELY to have had physical abuse as a child.
The Bottom Line:
Traumatic experiences in childhood may cause epigenetic changes that increase the chances of having the reproductive organs removed as an adult.
More studies are needed to determine whether bringing an awareness to the fact that the pelvic pain, fibroid growths, excessive bleeding, etc… leading to surgery may stem from experiences in childhood and young adulthood, and to see if getting support to deal with prior traumas can help mitigate symptoms and decrease the need for pelvic surgery entirely.
I hope these studies are conducted soon.
Because often, the removal of the reproductive organs is not a definitive solution to pelvic pain… as the dynamic behind the pain cascade has not been adequately addressed.
This study is a very vivid reminder that what happens to us affects our physical body.
What happens to us emotionally, what happens to us when we are under stress, what happens to us when we are betrayed, neglected, sexually abused, or mistreated shows up in painful ways that you can’t ignore as an adult.
If there is one thing I know after working with patients on both a physical and an energetic level for all of these years, it’s that there is a heck of a lot more to a physical illness than just what is physically going on in the cells and tissues of the body.
Health is an expression of who we are and what we have gone through over our entire lifetime.
This example… of how childhood trauma can make it much more likely that you might have your reproductive organs surgically removed later on… is just one of many ways that the body processes life events and modifies our physical body in order to process and release it.
Trauma, in this case, held in the sacral chakra area, can give rise to sexual and reproductive issues.
Trauma on any level can give rise to physical health issues in many different areas of the body.
From the root chakra all the way up to the crown chakra, I’ve seen health issues arise as a healing response to past trauma and stressors over and over again.
This is literally why I spent years creating my Chakra Healing Class.
In this class, I go through how the body handles and processes (and heals and releases!) energetic dynamics so that you can understand and make sense of what your body is trying to tell you.
In fact, here is a painting I hand painted to show how grounding and energy flow combine to boost your health! I hope you love it!
I would love to work with you in my upcoming Chakra Healing Class… class starts in just 3 weeks, and I want to ship out your chakra healing goodie bag to you ASAP!
Symptoms and illnesses are the body’s way of speaking to us.
And together we can figure out a way to align the energy of your emotional and physical body so that we can optimize your health.
Click over here to hold your spot right now!